Monday, January 5, 2009

One of Those People

Last week I had a hankering for some homemade chicken soup. I had some veggies in the crisper that were decidedly not crisp, which means they were perfect for stock flavoring. So I dug into my freezer for the chicken carcass I'd been saving for making stock, and threw it in a pot with lots of water, some limp carrots, celery, and green onions. And just to be different I threw in a hunk of fresh peeled fresh ginger. You know, since it was there. Added some seasonings and garlic, and simmered for a long long time. Tasted the broth - way too spicy! Too much pepper and ginger!

I didn't want to toss it immediately, so i just pulled all the solids out of it, picked the bones clean and put the meat back in the broth. Dumped it all into a bowl and stuck it in the fridge for inspiration to strike, all the while hoping that the fridge would mellow out the flavors rather than intensify them.

Fast forward two days, when I feel like I really need to either do something with the stock, or let it go entirely. I figured, what the heck, I'll try it. Time to pull the stock out, skim off all the fat, and return to the stove. I started heating it up and hoping for the best. I added one cup of veggie broth, to hopefully mellow it out even further. It was tasting good, so I started making chicken soup. Now, I've always wanted to be one of Those People who can work without a recipe. Chicken soup can't be hard, I thought. I'll just add some veggies and noodles and go!

So I did!

First I added a couple stalks of celery, chopped up. Then carrots, then a yellow bell pepper. Added the noodles, and when they were almost done I added a couple of green onions and some chopped fresh spinach. And voila, I had tasty and homemade chicken soup!



Looks like I am, in fact, one of Those People.

No comments: