Monday, April 19, 2010

Sometimes you just have to make it work

In the spirit of my friend's Make It Work Mondays, I spent today making it work. I've been tired, a bit under the weather, and a bit down for a while now, and today I was just going to be happy, darn it.

This is a great goal, but not the best plan for a New Hire Monday at work, because those days mean an early start, lots of things going wrong, and me putting out fires and never getting enough done. But I persevered and made my Monday work, and brought smiles to people's faces, and had a smile on my face for at least a portion of the work day. And you know what the best part of getting to work an hour early? Getting to leave an hour early!

So I get home early, excited to get started on some delicious dinner prep and maybe even take in a yoga class! I decide, yes, this is the day to sign up for a free week at the hot yoga place next door, Sol Yoga. I take a quick trip to Trader Joe's for a few dinner ingredients, and then get home to prep the savory bread pudding I will make. Only to find out that the bread cubes I prepped have gone moldy. After a closer examination I determined that only about a quarter were bad, so I made it work with the majority that were still good. Of course, all the picking through each and every bread cube took some time, so I didn't get any other prep for dinner done before I headed to yoga.

Which was crazy packed, and my first day, but I squeezed in, and proceeded to have a wonderful workout and did a lot of deep breathing and deep thinking. And a LOT of sweating. Maybe you didn't need to know that.

I return home to finish making dinner, make some adjustments to the recipe to account for the smaller amount of bread cubes, and discover that my dill has been eaten by some sort of bugs. At this point I am thinking that maybe the universe does not want me to make Savory Asparagus Bread Pudding, but I will not be stopped. I use instead a dill mix seasoning (looks like bugs don't like lemon, garlic and jalepano with their dill), and make it work. (Note: click through to the blog to read the recipe and see the pretty photos. Her food blog is one of my favorites, you should definitely check it out)

Now that it's out of the oven, I think I'll enjoy my (very late) dinner and finish out my Monday feeling pretty good. How was your Monday? Did you make it work for you?

1 comment:

Mary said...

Way to make it work! YAY! And that bread pudding looks a. maze. ing. Why do we not live closer to one another so that I can show up unannounced for dinner?

Here we made Monday work by eating chips and homemade guacamole for dinner. I also had a gob of challah torn straight off the loaf, and I believe Jarod had a chocolate chip chaser.

Hooray for Mondays that work!